Skip to content Skip to footer
100% Volunteer

Taunton Fire Department

Founded in 1947, the Taunton Fire Department is located in the Town of Onondaga just west of the City of Syracuse in Upstate New York. Our department has over 40 dedicated volunteers who spend countless hours each year training in Fire Suppression, Technical Rescue and Emergency Medical Services. 

 

Our response area consists of apartment buildings, businesses, schools and numerous single family homes. We also provide mutual aid assistance to many departments such as Onondaga Hill, Howlett Hill, South Onondaga, Nedrow, Fairmount, Solvay, and Camillus.

 

In 2003 we met with Onondaga Hill, Fairmount, Howlett Hill and Camillus to discuss a way to help each other improve our daytime responses with limited manpower. It was decided that each department would pick one day during the week to maintain a staffed Engine crew and respond on any calls within the 5 districts. The concept known as Engine 94 has proved to be a great success cutting down response times by getting personnel to the scene of any call within minutes. In 2009 Taunton had its busiest year answering over 900 calls for service

History of the Taunton Volunteer Fire Department

 
The Taunton Volunteer Fire Department was established in March 1947 by a group of dedicated individuals committed to creating fire protection services for the Taunton and Split Rock areas. Initially composed of 17 charter members.
 

The Early Years: Equipment and Facilities

 
The department began with a discarded Mack pumper loaned by the Village of Solvay, NY. In October 1948, we upgraded to a second-hand Ward LaFrance pumper from Owego, NY, which was later sold and acquired as a nostalgic item by a former member. During 1947-1948, equipment was stored in Chief Leslie Cornish’s garage. From 1949 to 1951, operations moved to a surplus Army barracks before the permanent fire station was constructed on 1.24 acres of land donated by Alfred and Jennie Fay in 1950.
 

Growth and Modernization

 
The department’s first new firetruck, a Sanford pumper, was acquired in March 1955, followed by another in 1957. By 1959, additional land from the Fay family brought the department’s total holdings to 9.9 acres, later expanded to 12.46 acres with purchases on Split Rock and Harris Roads. A second station was constructed on Harris Road in 1976 for $246,835.70, including new high-pressure pumpers valued at $203,000.
 

Communication and Technological Advances

 
In 1975, the department improved communication by adding Radio Base Station KSQ 731 and portable radios. A robust alarm system, multiple sirens, and advanced hose management equipment were installed in the 1950s-1960s, significantly enhancing response capabilities.
 

Leadership and Community Support

 
The department’s first chief, Leslie Cornish, served from 1947 to 1957, succeeded by Lester F. Williams, William Pienkowski, and James Riley. The first president, John Wells Sova, played a key role in organizing the department alongside other founders. Strong community support, including donations and fundraising, helped sustain and expand operations.
 

Service and Legacy

 
By 1976, the department comprised 50 firefighters and an Auxiliary group of 20 active members. These volunteers have been instrumental in maintaining equipment, conducting training, and supporting fundraising efforts. Through their hard work, fire insurance premiums for local residents were significantly reduced over the years.
 
The Taunton Volunteer Fire Department continues to honor its founding principles, providing exceptional fire protection services and fostering community involvement.
 

Founders of the Taunton Volunteer Fire Department

 
  • Leslie Cornish (Honorary Life Chief)
  • John Wells Sova
  • Cedric Needham
  • George Robinson, Sr.
  • Orange Woodhouse
  • Richard Salsbery
 
These men circulated a petition in 1947, securing 442 signatures to establish the fire protection district. They personally financed the incorporation process, filing the papers on March 12, 1947.
 

Notable Accomplishments and Milestones

 
1947: Formation and acquisition of initial equipment.
 
1950: Donation of land by Alfred and Jennie Fay for the first permanent fire station.
 
1955-1957: Purchase of new fire pumpers from the Sanford Fire Equipment Company.
 
1976: Completion of the Harris Road Station.
 
Fundraising and Community Events: Hosting the 66th Onondaga County Volunteer Firefighters Convention in 1964.

Historical Photos

Top | The first fire apparatus owned by the Taunton Fire Department was; a 1939 Dodge Ward LaFrance 500 gallon pumper purchased from the Owego, NY Fire Department on October 8, 1948 and a 1650 gallon tanker purchased from the Standard Oil Company on May 1947.
 
Bottom Left | Mr & Mrs Alfred N. Fay, Sr | This picture is believed to have been taken at the Fay’s house, located where Grace Assembly of God Church is now. A testimonial dinner was held for the Fay’s on November 17, 1959 at Taunton Station One. This was given in appreciation of the many generous gifts and numerous assests they had given the department, such as the land where our current station one sits.
 
Bottom Right | John Wells Sova was born in Syracuse March 31, 1899. He built and moved into his home at 4334 Fay Rd in 1940 and then became a member of the Taunton Men’s Club. With five fellow members, he circulated a petition securing 442 signatures of property owners. With that, he obtained a Charter to form a Fire Company on March 28, 1947, from an Albany Commission. John served as the first elected President of the Department on June 13, 1947 and served for six years, until
Top | Taunton was one of the first fire departments to organize a first aid team. These are the original members of that team, in front of the original fire station, with the discarded 1922 Mack pumper that we borrowed from the Solvay FD.
 
Bottom | The department originally stored our equipment in Les Cornish’s garage on the northeast corner of the Taunton Five Corners. In November of 1948 an Army surplus barracks building was purchased from Syracuse University, for $250. That building was placed directly across Onondaga Blvd from our current Station. That building was heated by a coal furnace which required someone to fire it up each morning and night. The department occupied that building until 1952 and since then, the property has served as various gas stations and Abbotts Ice Cream.
Top | Pictured here are founding members John W. Sova and Leslie D. Cornish standing on our 1939 Dodge Ward LaFrance 500 gallon pumper purchased from the Owego, NY Fire Department on October 8, 1948. This picture is believed to have been taken in from of the Cornish’s house which is located at 4306 Fay Rd.
 
Bottom | Proud life member James Gilroy is pictured here with sister engines four and five. These engines were 1976 GMC Sanford 500 gallon pumpers.

Top | Our first real fire equipment, the 1956 GMC Sanford 1000 gallon Tanker Pumper and the 1955 GMC Sanford 500 gallon pumper. These units are ready for action in front of our first permanent fire station at 4300 Onondaga Blvd.

Bottom On 1.24 acres that were donated by Alfred and Jennie Fay, our first permanent station opened in 1952. After this picture was taken, a rear kitchen and additional bay were added in 1958. In 1964, an additional section was built to add sufficient sanitary facilities and the recreation room. A major modernization and addition to the facility were completed in May of 1990. And, in 2022, another major transformation of the facility took place.

Top | More than just a mill was destroyed on the night of December 29, 1962. On this night, Morey’s Cider & Feed Mill burned. The mill had been a landmark since 1868 when John Wilcox erected a steam saw mill on the plank road from Syracuse to Split Rock. | The fire was discovered at 0015 hours and in a matter of minutes the 100 year old structure was a mass of roaring flames. The efforts of the Taunton, Camillus, Fairmount, Howlett Hill, Nedrow, Onondaga Hill, and Solvay Fire Departments were to no avail, as the building was a total loss.

Bottom | The first loss of life from fire since the fire departments inception occurred on August 18, 1964. This occurred when an County tar truck collided with a car at the intersection of Onondaga Road & Onondaga Blvd. This crash caused the fuel tanks on the truck to explode, killing the 46 year old County Highway worker. It also caused road tar to spill all over the road and the need for the three family members in the car to be transported for evaluation.

Top | In October 1972, because of anticipated residential and commercial develoment in the “upper district”, the deparment purchased 3 acres of land on Harris Rd. The proposed development not only included many houses, but it also included apartments, a school, and at least one shopping plaza. Unfortunately, after the station was constructed and in use, much of that development never materialized. The final cost to build this station was $246,835.

Bottom A dedication ceremony took place in July 1976 and some key individuals in attendance at that ceremony were (left to right);

• John Ryan, Building Committee Chairman

• Stearns & Detor Construction Company Representative

• Chester Pienkowski, President

• Dan Leary, Town Supervisor

• James Riley, Chief

Top | This is a picture of the 1987 version of Taunton Engine 6. This was taken in 1990 on the apron of Station One before it was renovated. This unit was an Emergency One 1000 gallon Gladiator engine on a Spartan chassis. It was the last engine we purchased with an enclosed cab and a full back step, prior to the NFPA standards that no longer allowed this.

Bottom | This picture was from approximately 1989 and includes (from left to right) a 1968 Gerstenslager heavy rescue (R3), 1987 Emergency One 1000 gallon Gladiator engine on a Sparton chassis (E6), 1981 Saulsbury/Chevrolet Light Rescue (R2) which was rechassied in 1992.

Top Left | Charter Members Matthew Hardman and Richard ‘Duke’ Salsbery were honored for thirty years of service at the 1978 Installation Banquet.

Top Right | Some corporate and firematic officers pose for a picture at the 1982 Installation Banquet. This was a celebration of 35 years of service of the Taunton Fire Department. Left to right Duke Salsbery, Jim Riley, Willis Hochesang, Charlie O’Connor, J Arthur Corcoran, RQ Ryan.

Bottom Right | A proud Taunton FD Color Guard is leading a parade in the summer of 1973. Left to right: Dale Britnall, Bob Pienkowski, Ken Pienkowski, Willis Hochesang.

Bottom Center | Taunton is making a strong push in a 1970’s pushball tournament. Left to right: Steve Jock, Ken Pienkowski, Bob Pienkowski, & Len Paradise.

Bottom Left | A Taunton Fire Department Color Guard is leading the parade on Fay Road during the 1964 Onondaga County Firemen’s Convention, in July.

Top | In the mid 1970’s the Taunton FD contained several members who were snowmobile enthusiasts. During that time Chief Ken Pienkowski became acquainted with Win Gurney who was a car dealer that lived in our district. Ken persuaded Win Gurney to donate two snowmobiles to the TFD. Upon reciept of the snowmobiles, firefighters Eric Peterson and Dale Britnall formulated the snowmobile team. Dale Britnall fabricated the hose sled and a patient sled was also purchased. This picture was taken in approximately 1992 at a snowmobile team training exercise.

 

Bottom | This picture is also from approximately 1992/1993 and was taken at a snowmobile team training exercise. The hose sled contains firefighter Nick Pagano with future Chief Michael Phelan.

Top | This is a picture of our fleet taken in front of station one about 1970. The fleet at this time included from left to right; 1968 Gerstenslager Heavy Rescue (R3), 1956 Sanford/GMC 1000 gallon Tanker Pumper (TPI), and 1955 Sanford/GMC 500 gallon Pumper

 

Bottom | Picture here, in front of Station Two, is the 1987 Emergency One 1000 gallon engine on the Spartan chassis (E6). This was our last apparatus purchased without an enclosed cab,

Top | This picture of our fleet was taken about 2016 at station one. From left to right; 2005 Seagrave Concorde ladder (L5), 1997 E-One/Spartan 1000 gallon engine (E4), 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Light Rescue (SD8), 2015 Ford F250 Utility Vehicle (MI), 2011 Blackburn/Ford light rescue (RI), 2008 Seagrave Marauder 2 rescue pumper (SD3), 2015 Seagrave Maruauder 2 engine (E6)

 

Bottom | Our fleet was photographed at station one in 1994 in this picture. From left to right; 1987 Chevrolet Suburban Light Rescue (RI), 1987 E-One/Spartan engine (E6), 1990 E-One/Spartan engine (E5), 1955 Sanford/GMC 500 gallon Pumper (M2), 1992 E-One 500 Gallon Rescue-Pumper (RP3), 1996 Saulsbury/Chevrolet Light Rescue (SD2), 1996 Chevrolet Suburban Light Rescue (R4).

Top | The department began planning for an emergency truck in 1962 to prepare for the completion of Route 695. That highway was planned to continue from its current end at W Genesee St by Wegmans. It was to go through Westvale and turn east in Taunton, following Grand Ave into the City. The Gerstenslager International Harvestor Rescue 3 was delivered in October 1968. It was often called the “White Whale” due to its large size and color. The highway extension was abandoned shortly after the truck was delivered.

Bottom | This is a picture of the fleet believed to be taken sometime in 1982. From left to right, the fleet then included; a 1981 Chevrolet Saulsbury light rescue (R2), a Ford pickup miscellaneous unit (M1), two 1976 GMC Sanford 500 gallon pumpers (E4 & E5), a 1968 Gerstenslager heavy rescue (R3), 1956 GMC Sanford 1000 gallon Tanker Pumper (TPI), a 1954 GMC Sanford 500 gallon pumper (E2).

Top | This picture of part of our fleet was taken in the Spring of 2022 at station one. From left to right; 2005 Seagrave Concorde ladder (L5), 2008 Seagrave Marauder 2 Rescue Pumper (SD3), 2015 Seagrave Marauder 2 engine (E6), 2020 Stonewell/Ford light rescue (R1). 

 

Bottom 2008 Seagrave Marauder 2 Rescue Pumper. This picture was taken in front of the Town of Onondaga Office in 2018 to thank the Town of Onondaga for our many years of a wonderful working relationship. The rig was coined the “Split Rock Express” in various commerative materials that were used for the one hundred year anniversary of the explosion of the Split Rock Munitions Plant. This rig was originally identified as Rescue 3 but was later called Squad 3. It was sold to the Atwell North Carolina FD in March 2022.